Medical Student Essay Prize
Twice a year the BSDS sets and essay title on a topic related to dermatological surgery and offers a prize for the winning essays.
For summer 2019, the essay submissions format has been updated to up to 5-minute long video submissions.
The title for the video presentation is:
"What will dermatological surgery look like in 2050?"
The prize for the winning video will be a place on the BSDS Stitch Up course in September.
Previous Essay Prize Winners
Click to View Previous Essays
- 2019, January - "Which doctors would make the best skin surgeons? Can we predict ability prior to training?" Pimentel-Velazquez Diana, Barts & The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, London
- 2018, July - "Will artificial intelligence and automated technology replace the need for Dermatologists to diagnosis skin cancer in the future?" Selvendran Sara, Imperial College London
- 2018, January - "Skin cancer and patients' use of Dermatology apps - a cause for concern or the future of healthcare provision?" Yi Jia Teo, University College Cork School of Medicine, National University of Ireland
- 2017, July - "Should NHS patients have access to scar management?" Kelsey Aimar, University of Nottingham
- 2017, January - Two prizes awarded: "If Mohs skin surgery is the 'gold standard for non-melanoma skin cancer treatment', why doesn't eveyone have it?" Ali Ansaripour, Kings College London GKT School of Medical Education and Antonio Ji Xu, Oxford University Medical School
- 2016, July - "Discuss the technological advances in dermatological and reconstructive surgery that have had the greatest impact on skin cancer patients" Joseph Jayasundera, King's College London
- 2016, January - "Discuss the impact of targeted molecular skin cancer therapies on dermatological surgery"
Anna Ascott, Barts and The London
- 2015, July - "How should we measure the “best” outcomes for skin cancer surgery?"
Mahdi Saleh, Keele University
- 2015, January - "There is no need to treat any skin cancer with Mohs surgery - discuss"
Monty Lyman, University of Birmingham
- 2014 - "How can patient expectations relating to skin cancer surgery be assessed and addressed?"
Joseph Colclough, University of Glasgow
2014 - "How can patient expectations relating to skin cancer surgery be assessed and addressed?"
Katherine Farquhar, University of Glasgow
- 2013 - "Skin Cancer and Vitamin D"
Verity Williams, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London.
- 2012 - "Skin cancer surgery: who should do it and why?"
James Womersley, Peninsula College of Medicine & Dentistry, Universities of Exeter & Plymouth.
- 2011 - "Rising skin cancer incidence: current and future impact on dermatological surgery"
Sarah Gentry, University of Exeter and Plymouth College of Medicine.
- 2010 - "The role of technology in dermatological surgery"
George Coltart, Oxford University.
- 2009 - "What is the role of the dermatologist in the management of Skin Cancer?"
Justice Reilly, Glasgow University Medical School.
- 2008 - "The impact of climate change on skin cancer"
Laura Thomas, Imperial College.
2008 - "The impact of climate change on skin cancer"
Rory Honney, Oxford University.
- 2007 - "Discuss aspects of healing in skin surgery"
Faisal Ali, Oxford University.
- 2006 - "Surgical and emotional scars of skin cancer"
Daniel Todkill, Warwick University